November 3, 2020 General Election - Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 9 p.m.
This Year You Can Vote Three Ways
- VOTE EARLY (Sat., October 24 - Sun., November 1)
- VOTE-BY-MAIL (Request by October 27; Return by November 3)
- VOTE on Election Day (Tuesday, November 3)
Qualifications to Register to Vote
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote)
- Reside at your present address at least 30 days before an election
- Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship SEE BELOW);
- Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere
November 3, 2020 General Election Deadlines
MAIL REGISTRATION (N.Y. Election Law Section 5-210(3))
Applications must be postmarked no later than October 9, 2020 and received by a board of elections no later than October 14, 2020 to be eligible to vote in the General Election.
IN PERSON REGISTRATION (N.Y. Election Law Sections 5-210, 5-211, 5-212)
You may register at your local board of elections or any state agency participating in the National Voter Registration Act, on any business day throughout the year but, to be eligible to vote in the General Election, your application must be received no later than October 9, 2020. If honorably discharged from the US Military or have become a naturalized US Citizen after October 9, 2020, you may register in person at the Board of Elections up until October 24, 2020.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS (N.Y. Election Law Section 5-208(3))
Notices of change of address from registered voters received by October 14, 2020 by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for the General Election.
For more information regarding voting please visit https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html